Thursday, June 18, 2015

Royal Blood 6/13/15



I'm bettin most of you have never heard of this British duo...  Yet.  I was lucky enough to hear their first US single off of the debut self-titled album, "Figure It Out", on the radio and made sure I heard the DJ identify the band, then had to wait about 7 months for the live show.  Los Angeles trio Mini Mansions opened with a unique sound, which took a few tunes to embrace, that became groovy and included a very mellowed out version of Blondie's "Heart of Glass".  Royal Blood then emerged and pulsed the crowd back with their shrill licks and vocals with thundering drums.  Then I realized those piercing notes were being extracted from Mike Kerr's BASS guitar.  Never would have guessed, just   bass and drums, that's it.  All that force coming out of two people was incredible.  Drummer Ben Thatcher took a mid-show crowd surf and I even had to avoid a mosh pit during "Loose Change", something I haven't had to dodge in quite a few shows.  I guess I'm getting old but a youthful resurgence can be refreshing.

























No comments:

Post a Comment